Wednesday, February 10, 2021

28mm 3rd Century Romans

 Finally a blog post! I haven't been keeping up with the blog as time has been tight. Between dealing with the pandemic, raising an almost 5 year old, and trying to get some painting done, I neglected the blog. So here is an update.


This order is a batch of 3rd century Romans for the middle east. To convey the changeover that occurred in that time-frame, the customer suggested we use a mix of rectangular and oval shields. For the knot pattern I used oval decals, painting in the background color in the corners. Simple but effective.



The customer requested that two of the units have the alternating color pila. I liked how they turned out, so did the same with the other two infantry units. 




These two archer units were painted by someone else. The customer wanted me to touch them up and rebase them. I also had to add some command figures and an archer to the one unit. So I fixed any chips and changed some colors on some details. I also cleaned up the paint job as it was a tad sloppy.




These command figures were also painted by someone else. Again they were "touched up", a process of fixing chips, rebasing, and changing some details. For instance, on these I changed the standard bearer's armor and added some contrasting color to the fringe (it was all one color). The horses were also redone.



Likewise, these cavalry were "touch ups" with me adding a command figure to the cataphracts and a cavalryman to the other unit. These required more work since whoever painted them previously did not shade or highlight a lot of things. Leather colors were redone and some horses spruced up a bit.






These last two figures show some of the patterns I added to the cloaks to detail them up a bit.



I really like the way these came out. They are nice and bright, and the added details like the alternating colors on the pila really make them pop.



1 comment: