Saturday, March 26, 2011

28mm JTFM WWII Vehicles

Doug Kline, the owner of Battlefield Terrain Concepts (BTC), recently gave us a few JTFM WWII vehicles to do for him. They included a Sherman Firefly, a StuG, and 2 SdKfz 251/1 halftracks. We completed them and delivered them at Cold Wars.

The vehicles were base-coated  with the airbrush using Vallejo Model Air paints. They were then highlighted with dry-brushing using Vallejo Model Color paints and the details were picked out as well. Finally, some pastels pastels were used to add some weathering. The pastels are Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders.


Sherman Firefly




The German vehicles had some foliage added to them when I got to the show. I wanted to confirm with Doug a few details before adding the foliage. Here's the German vehicles before:
German SdKfz 251/1's and StuG



Here's the StuG with the foliage added and placed on the BTC bocage demo table they had set up at Cold Wars:

This is the view the Sherman Firefly would have of the disguised StuG. The StuG is at the point of the Y of the roads:

Overall I like the JTFM models. They have incredible detail. My only complaints are that some of the finer details are somewhat fragile being cast in resin. Also, some parts are sometimes warped. This can be mostly corrected with hot water. Despite the water in our house being extremely hot, some parts still had a slight warp to them. One halftrack's body suffered from this, but the foliage disguised it perfectly.

Oh, the the skirts for the StuG are a pain in the rear. It took some fiddling and trimming but I eventually got them to fit. Now that I have one under my belt I plan on going back and adding them to the StuG I did for us but never put them on.

Still they are nice models and I wouldn't overlook them on account of these two minor issues. They paint up beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment